Thursday, May 7, 2015

My Favorite Genre



My favorite genre is graphic novels because I love looking at the art while I read. I feel that, by looking at visuals while reading, it makes the reader feel more into the action of the story, rather than just reading the words of a normal novel. I feel that graphic novels supply character and fun to the story, taking the reader on a trip along with the characters. 

 My favorite author is Bryan Lee O'Malley, who wrote two of my favorite books: Scott Pilgrim vs The World and Seconds. I love these two books because the style of the art is very cartoon-y and cute, along with humor, romance, and everything in between. Scott Pilgrim vs The World is about a guy named Scott who meets a new girl--Ramona Flowers. They like each other a lot but there is a catch; Scott has to defeat Ramona's "Seven Evil Exes" to be able to date her. The book is written with a lot of video game  and pop culture references, which makes the story unique.

 Seconds is a story about a young chef named Katie, who wakes up in the middle of the night to find a strange girl sitting on her old dresser warning her about something. Katie knocks it off as a dream and continues about her life, until she finds a red-capped mushroom in her dresser with a notebook, in which she is told to write her mistakes, eat a mushroom, and go to bed and wake anew. As any of us would, Katie takes advantage of it (and goes overboard). What she didn't realize is that there are consequences.



No comments:

Post a Comment