Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Out of Comfort Zone Book


The book I read that was out of my comfort zone was Girl, Interrupted. In this memoir, Susanna Kaysen writes about her experiences in McLean mental hospital renowned for its past patients, such as Sylvia Plath and Ray Charles. Though the story seems to lack a plot, it was still entertaining to read Susanna's experience and learn about how mental illness affects the people who suffer from it. The book was overall fun to read, seeing as though it had funny parts, which I wasn't really expecting.  

As a person who suffers mild mental illnesses, I felt that Susanna did an excellent job of describing what it was like for her going through her episodes and struggling with depersonalization. Kaysen took the elements of mental illness that were difficult to explain and managed to make them understandable, even going through her thought processes to break down how she felt. 

Girl, Interrupted was a book that was out of my comfort zone initially, but I found that I really loved the story and the way in which it was written. I thought that I wouldn't like it because of its title, which at the time didn't make sense to me, and that it had very complex themes that I thought I wouldn't understand. All in all I'm very glad I read the book and it just taught me flat out not to judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment