Friday, March 13, 2015

The Books of My Life

Book that I Recommend to Friends: Seconds
By Bryan Lee O'Malley
Seconds is about a talented young chef named Katie who owns a popular restaurant named Seconds. She is doing so well with her first restaurant that she plans on opening another one, named Katie's in a busier part of town. One day, Katie finds that there is a house spirit living in her apartment, and when she investigates the dresser that the spirit lives in, she finds a little red capped mushroom and a notepad that tells her to write down her mistake, eat a mushroom, and go to sleep. She tries it for fun and finds that she can fix any mistake she has made in life. She starts using them willy-nilly until she learns that it has dire consequences. I recommend Seconds to my friends because it's cute and also very funny. 
Character that I Identify With:The Bell Jar
by Sylvia Plath
The main character in Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, Esther Greenwood, is the character that I find that I can identify with. Esther is a young college girl who takes her studies very seriously and strives to be the best writer she can be. She earns many achievements and awards and has everything going for her, except one day she wakes up and finds that she can't read or write. After a while trying to get herself to read and write, she decides that there's no point for her to live anymore and attempts suicide. She then gets sent to a mental institution where she is treated with shock therapy for her depression. I find that I identify with Esther in that she's a young girl with huge dreams that is held back by depression.



Celeb or Historical Memoir I Admire: I Am Malala
by Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai is living proof that young people can stand up and fight for their rights and be taken seriously. Because we learn so little about the Middle East in school, I felt that this book has taught me more about the culture and various forms of religion the people of Pakistan are exposed to every day that America is so afraid to learn about. Malala incorporates the history of her homeland, leading up to how and why the Taliban got into power and tried to take her life. She is an inspiration for young girls all over the world and empowers them to stand up for their rights to an education.


Favorite Book Read for School: Night
by Elie Wiesel
Everyone can learn something from Elie Wiesel. I feel that Night is a must-read because of the lasting message it has on society today. What Elie tries to convey through his experience is that no one should remain silent in the face of injustice. I feel that this is the perfect book to read in school, because it teaches the next generation about what happens when good people do nothing. I enjoyed reading this novel and I reccommend it to anyone who's interested in peoples' historical experiences.
 
 
Favorite Childhood Book: Corduroy
by Don Freemann

 


My favorite book to read as a child was definitely about the bear that was missing a button on his overalls. A little girl named Lisa finds Corduroy in a store window, but her mother won't let her buy him because of his missing button. After the store closes, Corduroy sets out on an adventure to find a button but fails when a security guard finds him and places him back in the window. The story has a happy ending when Lisa comes back and buys Corduroy, takes him home, and sews a button on his overalls. As a child I loved reading this book, often making my mom read it to me over and over! I highly reccommend it to children.



No comments:

Post a Comment